Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 4... Getting into the swing of things

I'm having trouble sleeping this evening (note the time this was posted!).  It is always exciting to start a new way of doing things, but it can be especially tough in the beginning.  One of the things Obe and I decided to focus on with this new way of eating was eliminating processed foods from our diet.  Coincidentally, this turned out to mean a dramatic reduction in our snacking overall.  When we actually made a conscious effort to snack well, we stopped snacking for the sake of snacking and started snacking for snacking's intended purpose, which is to settle your hunger and tide you over until the next meal.  There were many days in the past month or two where we would go all day without a square meal, then come home famished, have dinner, and snack all night long. 

So, having no more than an apple, a small handful of almonds, and a cup of tea after dinner means I get hunger pains in the middle of the night if I don't go right to sleep!  However, a little bit of hunger versus a bellyache from eating too much junk is much easier to wrestle with.  There's not a thing you can do to make yourself feel better after overeating, but if you're hungry you can always just eat! 

The good news is, these hunger pains will probably be gone by the end of the week.  In the meantime, at least I have time to get a little extra blogging in! 

2 comments:

  1. funny you should say!!!!
    I'm very inspired by your journey and am reading that book you recommended too. Mindful eating is so much more satisfying and by the way - the wild rice concoction was fabulous. Have you used black rice at all? I was thinking that do a half wild/half black might be a good (slightly less expensive) substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *a note for readers: the book my mom is refering to is Mark Bittman's "Food Matters" which I talk about in my post "Day 5...Weight Loss!"

    ReplyDelete