Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 12 Dessert - Walnut Joys

I don't tend to eat a lot of snacks during the day.  Mostly, I think, because when I am at work I don't really have time!  But we, at the Ariss household, are very fond of our post-dinner snacks.  Late-night eating can often be a hazard to your health (almost as though when the sun goes down, so do your eating inhibitions!) but it doesn't have to be a bad habit.  We decided rather than go against our instincts, we replace the bad food with good stuff!  Usually, I have an apple and a cup of green tea, a handful of almonds and dried cranberries, or some freshly-popped popcorn with a little garlic oil.  Something simple, often sweet and nutritious.  Every now and then, though, you just want dessert!  So, I'm happy to say I will include a Good Dessert recipe when the occasion calls for it.

These cookies are a play on one of my favorite candy bars!  I used walnuts instead of almonds, because I snack on almonds regularly and I wanted to have something different.  The bulk of the cookie is plain, unsweetened coconut with a little chocolate to make them extra decadent!  For a different twist, replace the chocolate and walnuts with whatever the heck you want!  Dried cranberries, almonds, raisins, chopped dates, or pisachios would all be excellent substitutes. 



Once you try these, you may never waste your money on a crappy candy bar ever again!  You'll save yourself from something unsustainably produced with lots of artificial ingredients and corn syrup.  Victory is ours!


Walnut Joys
makes about 16 cookies

4 egg whites
1 3/4 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a standing mixer, beat egg whites until foamy, about a minute or two.  Add all the other ingredients and beat until combined. 

Using a small ice cream scoop, about 2 inches, scoop mixture onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, leaving at least an inch between cookies.  Bake for about 15 minutes, until the cookies are set and the coconut is brown and toasted.  Allow to cool completely before enjoying.

2 comments: